|Even in the old days, shield supercaps knew thier place.|
I've always felt that a heavily Industry-themed expansion is LONG overdue for EVE. Long time players like myself, and especially former CCP Game designers (like me), understand just how interconnected the different elements of EVE are. As a CSM member especially, I think the opportunity to push harder for iteration on long neglected features will exist in the next year far more than previously. Whereas in the past the CSM had to be a bit more careful in the things we pounded on the table about, CCP's re-newed focus on fixing / iteration will allow a bit more of a shotgun blast of proposals. I'd like to see what would happen if the fuzzy bears at CCP were allowed to just go wild for a full release cycle. Every good PVPer in EVE understands the basics of industry and market PVP.
When it comes to how I would like to see CCP use their resources in the near future, the top three things I would like to see happen are:
1.) Fix / finish null sec sov
2.) Improve Factional Warfare and life in low-sec
3.) A full blown industrial expansion
My reasons for that order are that I very much want to see CCP iterate on and complete the first two systems that have been lingering in apathy for years now. More importantly, I don't want CCP touching #3 until they can literally put a full expansion's worth of resources into it. It is not an easy task as everything in EVE springs from the way we mine, build and trade. I don't want them rushing it.
I want to see everyone happily blowing each other up and then I would like to see an industry expansion that allows us to invent / build new and fun ways to keep the violence going strong. I'm a builder at heart. When I play strategy games like Total Annihilation or the old Master of Orion stuff, even Shogun2, I tend to work toward building things as big and 'upgraded' as possible before sending my armies out into the world and conquering it. I like making something out of nothing, big things out of small things, etc... In EVE, I have probably spent just as much time building everything from cruise missiles to Titans over the years just so I could say I'd done it.
I'll bullet point a few obvious things and they should be familiar as everyone has been screaming about them for years:
- New, dead regions of space waiting to be built-up / exploited
- Region-specific resources
- Dynamic resource allocation
- Improved mining / Comet mining / planetary ring mining, etc... (as a caveat to this, I'd like to see mining become something that requires player interaction to some extent so bots are taken out of the equation as much as possible)
- New probing / scanning mechanics
- Finite resources of rare resources (moon goo)
- Massive scale construction (stargates, etc...)
Fix the fighting and then give us new and improved things to fight over!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Mining in its current form is a soul draining, time vampire of an activity. I'd like to see mining become more interactive and require some form of actual DOING SOMETHING.
- I'd like to see bigger rocks.
- I'd like to see rocks with variable mineral content.
- I'd like to see rocks with multiple layers / densities. (zomg, what if there is Kernite, Omber and morphite in the center?!")
- I'd like to see finite resources of things like moon goo have a % chance to be in a rock.
- I'd like to see skills affect the amounts / types of minerals you could extract from a rock.
- I'd like to see planetary ring mining.
- I'd like to see comet mining.
- I'd like to mine / hollow out a giant asteroid and make a home there to live out of.
- I'd like to see a variance in the 'purity' of minerals that are mined where some veldspar is worth more.
- I'd like to see that same Veldspar refined into Tritanium that gives a ship 10% more hit points due to it's pure qualities...
- ... IF you had the proper skills to use the proper blueprint that allowed you to take advantage of the improved alloys.
Now I'm going to post this and listen to my corp haze me for a week. :)